Monday, June 20, 2011
Monday, June 13, 2011
Well the ducks that live around our apartment aren’t exactly our friends, but we like to call them that. Our apartment is near a
river lake manmade body of water and it is just hilarious to see the ducks waddling around in the parking lot like they own the place. I swear that they have meetings sometimes. Once I saw two ducks running across the parking lot to meet with another group of ducks. They are quite good at catching goldfish too. We recently discovered a new odd friend that doesn’t belong. This one was a small but tall bird with a crazy mohawk feather-do. It also only comes out at night. I did some research, which to my generation is google, and discovered that the new bird in town is a yellow-crowned night heron.
Isn’t it cute? We think so!
The next week is going to be busy. Zach is having hernia surgery, which is lame. I know it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it still kind of stinks. I’m sure the work he does played a part in it. You can’t exactly say it doesn’t when someone lifts lots of heavy things daily and gets a hernia at the ripe old age of 25. But thankfully, his work has been very helpful and understanding through it all. Also, I may have an upcoming appointment with a doctor that specializes in a rare condition that I have. I’m actually really excited about it (weird, I know!), but more on that when I schedule the appointment. Hopefully I will be able to start the scheduling process tomorrow. By the way, it has nothing to do with being a woman or babies in case you were wondering.
Saturday, June 11, 2011
I'm on the right track, but haven't quite made it. I have an amazing husband and a college degree (Gig Em). I'm a teacher. Now all I have left, is the be a mommy part. I can't wait until that stage and neither can Zach. That one won't be for a while...
2. What is one must have item for the summer? Shorts. It's so HOT here in the summer. This summer, I'm also loving my TOMS. They are so comfy and light and perfect for summer.
3. Do you have your kids stay up on school stuff during summer vacation? (Or, if you don't have kiddos, did your parents make you keep up on school stuff during summer?) No kids yet, but when we have kids I do want to start doing activities with them when they are young, and this includes summer. I don’t want to homeschool, but I know that learning happens at home too. My parents didn’t make us do anything, but I read a TON, which is supposed to prevent/lessen the “summer slide.”
4. Do you can or freeze fresh produce? Our freezer is tiny and currently can’t handle stocking up on things. One day?
5. Do you get ready for the day first thing in the morning? If I’m working or have somewhere to be, yes. If not, then mostly I do not. I like to be comfortable, especially if I’m working around the house. The hideous pile of laundry I recently spoke of is gone.
Friday, June 3, 2011
No, this is not our bathroom. It's our living room. A lot of things in our apartment are green and brown... Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially since I'm not very talented in the crafting/artsy area. However, I was thinking that I should seal it somehow since it will be in the bathroom. Any suggestions as to what I should use? Modge Podge? Ha, I've heard of that but I don't actually know what it is. So yes, please assist.
Speaking of crafts and time off from my little firsties, these are some projects I would like to do this summer:
- Make/buy a ton of felt stories. I LOVE this Etsy site and all the things she has for felt stories. There is no way I can make them look this good.
- Laminate and make literacy centers.
- Find cheap headphones and personal CD players for a listening center.
- Make a felt board. (This really means get my husband to make one, which he has already happily volunteered to do.)
- Organize our closet and the laundry "closet". Sadly the 2 feet of space between the washer and dryer has become storage for our clean clothes. It's just impossible to hang anything up when the closet is so disorganized, and it's impossible to organize the closet when there is one tiny closet for the entire apartment. We have NO storage. Ha, we're storing our wok in the drawer under the dryer...
- Organize the pantry/spice cabinet. (No idea how to tackle this one.)
- Take up sewing?